25 March 2017

West of the west coast

Before this trip, the furthest west I had gone in Canada was Victoria when I was younger. I can't say I knew too much about Tofino before we went, and it was definitely one of those places that are a pleasant surprise.





We took the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo and then drove via BC-4 through Port Alberni to Ucluelet, and finally landing in Tofino.

This is probably one drive that is sure to keep you awake - there are so many twists and turns there is almost no stretch of road that keeps straight for more than a few hundred metres. Definitely not a drive I would recommend at night as it is nestled away in the foliage.

First of all, the home we stayed in was absolutely gorgeous. The cabin I used to dream of as a child,  tucked away at the top of the hill, came to life in this place.







We spent our days exploring beaches, scaling rocks, stumbling upon reserves, and cooking up meals as the food options were limited and usually not open past the early evening.

I would wake up early every morning to catch the sunrise; every morning it was drastically different yet still managed to stun me with its beauty. I loved lying on the couches, basking in the warm sun with a good book, or looking out over Clayoquot Sound. It was deliciously tranquil.







I mourn the days I didn't have a proper camera with me; the majority of the photos from this trip were taken with my now-dead phone. I would go back to Tofino in a heartbeat, and hopefully during a season where paddle-boarding will more more prevalent.








No comments:

Post a Comment